Sender:
From:
Jochen Gerber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:40:28 -0600
In regard of Theba pisana in New Zealand:

There is a very thorough and comprehensive paper on introduced land molluscs
in NZ:

Barker, G.M. (1999): Naturalised terrestrial Stylommatophora (Mollusca:
Gastropoda). - Fauna of New Zealand 38, 249 pp., Lincoln, Canterbury, New
Zealand.

No introduction of T. pisana to NZ is mentioned in this book, and neither is
the species mentioned in Powell's classic "New Zealand Mollusca".

Jochen

At 06:05 PM 2/18/01 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>May I forward a question from Sylvain from France ? He's preparing a
>paper on Theba pisana and would like to have confirmation of the
>following :
>
>Theba pisana has been introduced in California at the beginning of
>last century but it is now officially eradicated : is it right ?
>Is it possible to find it anywhere else in the States ?
>
>Sylvain thinks Theba pisana did exist in New Zealand but cannot find
>any paper which can confirm that. Do you know any ?
>
>He suspects the specie's geographical range includes :
>- Mediterranean costs
>- Atlantic coasts from Morocco to Netherlands.
>- North Atlantic Islands : England, Ireland, The Azore, Madeira,
>Bermuda, Green Cape Islands, The Canaries, Salvages (???)
>- Switzerland
>- Saudi Arabian oasis
>- Australia
>- South Africa
>- Godan ? do you know where is this place ?
>
>Any information will be welcome !
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>Sophie

Dr. Jochen Gerber