Sender:
From:
Carol Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 1998 17:37:26 -0400
Well said.  I love your example.  Please keep the common names.

To me one of the main features of Conch-L is communication.  Communication
is only successful if understood by those reading the messages.  Therefore,
common names (where possibvle) and scientific names would allow
communications to be understood by all those on Conch-L not just a select
group.

Carol Lowe, Toronto
"If you can't control the wind ..... adjust your sails"

----------
> From: Irene Longley <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Regarding Common Names
> Date: April 30, 1998 11:09 AM
>
> It seems the majority of Conch=L'ers feel that the scientific name should
> be used, not the common name such as "wentletrap."
>
> Maybe this should be the case.  If so, everyone---look out your window
and
> see the   Turdus migratorius,  the Eudocimus albus (if you are in
Florida),
> and the Casmerodius albus.  This would make life interesting.
>
> To not use the common names would take away the FUN included with shell
> collecting.  Try to teach your 14 grandchildren the scientific names
only,
> as you are walking on the beach.
>
> In case you do not know, the BIRDS that I named are in order--Robin,
White