Sender:
From:
Paul Kanner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Apr 2001 20:34:10 -0700
Hi Scott,
Next time a "dive master" on a California dive boat tells you that it is
illegal to take any gastropods, tell him to read the California Sport
Fishing Regulations. I am the the second skipper on one of Southern
California's dive boats, The Westerly. I personally collect and know that it
is legal. There are restrictions to tide pool collecting. Under the Mollusks
section the only restricted species are Abalone where only refuscens may be
taken by freediving north of San Francisco, Pismo clams where only 10 over
5" may be taken in season and in unprotected areas, Razor clams where only
20 can be taken with a few beaches restricted, Mussels where 10 lbs is the
limit, Rock Scallops with a limit of 10, Speckled Bay Scallops(Argopecten
aequisulcatus) which are totally protected, and Moon Snails with a limit of
5.  With the exception of Abalone, these are daily bag limits. Here in
California we have not gone totally eco-crazy yet. Maybe that is because
most of our desirable species cannot are rarely found on our beaches, even
after a storm. The so called Sanibel stoop doesn't exist out here.
Paul Kanner
Los Angeles, CA