Sender:
Date:
Mon, 30 Apr 2001 12:12:31 -0400
7bit
From:
"William F. Clendenin" <[log in to unmask]>
Comments:
To: CONCH- L <[log in to unmask]>
In 1992 my friend Jack Austin wrote a piece on the reference to opercula
incense in Exodus for the Victorian Branch of MAS newsletter. He wondered
what species were used. I remembered that Dr.Donald Bosch had mentioned in a
talk at COA that although shell collecting is not permitted in Oman,
thousands of shells are collected for their opercula for use in incense, and
that they are readily found in the markets. I later asked him which species
were used. He said that it is mainly Cymatium boschi, Murex scolopax,
Hexaplex kuesterianus, and Chicoreus ramosus. Eloise Bosch was kind enough
to send me a booklet on Omani recipes which included a recipe for making
bokhur, the incense. The booklet states:

"After kawha and dates, and perhaps fruit or halwah, visitors to an Omani
home will be offered a tray of various perfumes in small ornate bottles.
Following the perfumes, and incense burner with glowing coals is sprinkled
with frankincense or bokhur and brought around to each guest in turn. The
rich smoke is fanned into hair, beards, and clothing, whereupon the guest
immediately says his goodbyes and departs in a cloud of fragrance."

Bill Clendenin
Sarasota, Florida