Sender:
From:
Richard Goldberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jul 2001 01:10:13 -0400
Sorry for posting an email that is not shell related, but this should be of
interest to all if you are not already aware of this relatively new, but
serious computer virus threat.

Please read the following information below about the W32.Sircam.Worm@mm
virus that has spread to thousands of email users and hundreds of Internet
Service Providers over the past couple of days.  This is a serious threat
that may have already affected some Conch-L subscribers.  Please be aware
though, that the spread of this virus is not in anyway related to the
Conch-L Listserv.

I am receiving a slew of emails from various shell world people including a
couple of Conch-L subscriber addresses with the same Subject line and
message and with various attachments, all in Spanish.  It is a serious worm
virus that should not be opened.

I started to receive the emails yesterday.  My virus scan software has
detected the virus, but I believe it may have slipped through prior to an
antivirus update late yesterday.  Amazingly, I never opened any of the
attachment files.  Off the record Nortons and McAfee, leading antivirus
software companies, admit that they may have been beat out by the creators
of this virus right at the outset.  They're software is now up-to-date.

Please update and run your virus scan software immediately.  DO NOT OPEN
any suspicious emails, especially if it indicates that it has an
attachment.  It's a doozy!

Read more about this on the Symantec (Norton's Antivirus) Web site:

[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]

They also have a program to download that will cleanse your hard drive of
the virus if you have already been infected.

If you have received an email from any of my email addresses, or from
anyone with the subject line "Hi! How are you?" or "Hola como estas?",
delete it immediately.  It will have an attachment associated with the email.

These periodic virus scares are a royal pain, but again, it points out the
fact that you cannot be connected to the Internet via an email program
without a strong, regularly updated antivirus program.

Rich