Sender:
From:
Avril Bourquin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:16:36 -0600
Hello Conchlers,

I have received more information on the pearl question.  This might narrow
the response down a bit.  Thanks again for all help
Avril

<Hi Avril,

Thank you for your help. What made me wonder was a strand of pearls I saw in
Bahrein in the early 80s that was a deep red with purple, blue, and gold
overtones. It was then as is now illegal to sell or even own cultured and
particularly dyed pearls in Bahrein, so they had to be natural pearls of
natural color. Now I'm trying to find out what animal they came from.
Although the abalone produces a red nacre shell when feeding on red kelp
and, as such, should be producing also red pearls if it so does, I don't
think that there are many abalone and much red kelp in the Arabian Gulf. I
may be wrong about that, but the purpura snail is still a hot candidate with
me.

Zeide>