Sender:
From:
Norman Frank <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:32:22 -0400
Leslie Allen Crnkovic <[log in to unmask]> wrote in part:

>10 years ago I was told by numerous sources that although R.T. did a good
job
>on the tape and book there are a lot of errors in his pronunciations.

     Leslie...It's funny which lessons stick with you and turn out to
actually be relevant.  I remember when a  professor of mine addressed the
"Latin name pronunciation mess" by declaring that the only truly important
thing is to get all the syllables accounted for....regardless of which part
of the word you accent or whether or not you make, for example, the CH a
hard "cha" or soft "sha".
      During the 35 or so years since he told me that, I've found it to be
true. I've traveled to many scientific meetings where animals were
classified, and generally referred to, by their Latin-derived genus and
species names. Experts in their fields very often pronounce names
differently.   Differences in pronunciation seem to originate from different
countries, different regions of the same country, and even by who the
speaker learned from and where that education took place.....Norman

Norman Frank
Miami FL