Sender:
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2001 13:00:17 -0700
From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Dear Kathleen,

I visited Venezuela with friends in 1989 two weeks before civil disorders
rocked every city in that nation (resulting from a big rise in milk and
gasoline prices). Everywhere we went people were extremely friendly and went
out of their way to help us. Even in Caracas in a neighborhood that was the
scene of bitterest fighting weeks later. The only exceptions we found were
at the airport and at the seaside resort (I forgot the name) near Caracas.
At those places we found the same sullen attitude you can find in many port
locations in the world (like New York's reputation).

Of course this doesn't help you specifically with Margarita.

The Washington Times is an asset of the Unification Church (of the Moonies,
you know, Rev. Sun Myung Moon) last I checked. I'll let that speak for
itself.

Have you checked out the website for Lonely Planet? They may have some more
information from recent travelers.

Good luck and have a great time!

David Kirsh
Durham, NC