Sender:
From:
"Orstan, Aydin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2001 15:14:21 -0400
Charlie Sturm wrote:

>It appears that autolosis begins at an alcoholic
>concentration about 66%.

It is interesting to note that a millenium ago at the beginning of the 20th
century, it was recommended to place a newly drowned snail first into about
30% ethanol, then gradually bring it up to 70% ethanol.This was said to
result in the better penetration of ethanol into the tissues. In more recent
publications I have come across recommendations that a snail be first fixed
in 95% ethanol and then placed in 70% ethanol. I have dissected snails
preserved by either method & not noticed anything different in the condition
of their tissues. Does anybody know if anyone has compared the effectiveness
of different alcohol concentrations?

Incidentally, Leslie Hubricht recommended formaldehyde to fix slugs,
although ethanol seems to work fine for me.

Aydin