Sender:
From:
"Cadee M.C." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jan 2002 09:23:58 +0100
-----Oorspronkelijk bericht-----
Van: Stephen McMahan [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Verzonden: zondag 20 januari 2002 22:15
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Mystery Shell

Greetings All,

                     Has anyone every heard of a shell called Ancistrosyrinx
cedonulli (Reeve, 1842)? I bought this shell a few years ago with this name
attached but no other info. It most likely belongs in the Astraea family.
It's 23mm in diameter, 9mm high and looks just like a saw blade with 9 very
sharp spines on each of the 3 whorls. It's all nacreous. I can send anyone
who is interested a set of images. Just let me know. Any info on this shell
would be most helpful.

Shephen McMahan

Dear Steven, Ancistrosyrinx is a genus that belongs in the Turridae! Here in
Europe this genus is only known as fossils from the oligocen and miocene: A.
perspirata - late oligocene; A. volgeri - middle oligocene; A. cornetti -
middle miocene. They look somewhat like a schrew!. Your description fits not
with Ancystrosyrinx, so I suppose your shell belongs to a quite different
genus.
Yours Martin C. Cadee, The Netherlands