Sender:
From:
Henk and Zvia Mienis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2002 23:06:34 +0200
Dear Robert,

One of the first questions is whether you are 100% sure that you are dealing
with Euglandina rosea in that Central American country? Numerous species of
Euglandina are living in Central America.

Rumina is not a native snail in Israel, but is known from at least two
archaeological sites in Israel: Caesarea and Apollonia (Tel Arsuf). At both
localities it is now extinct, but thousands are still laying around. At both
sites it was introduced at a very early stage of civilization. However, to
interprete its occurrence at Caesarea and Apollonia as early trials of
biological control of other snails? I do not think so. Do not forget that if
Rumina (whether decollata, saharica or paivae) does not find a partner in
order to mate then self fertilization takes places i.e. a single snail
inadvertently transported from one place to an other can start in principle
a new population.

The use of Rumina in the biological control of pest snails like Cornu
aspersus (formerly Helix aspersus) in California is a relatively new method
(see the numerous papers by T.W. Fisher and R.E. Orth), but in my opinion
full of dangers. Rumina prefers to prey on worms and snails but if none are
available it feeds on plants and their fruits as well. With other words it
can turn also into a pest snail.

There is an additional danger: if Rumina spreads into a natural habitat it
will not leave the endemics unharmed! Similar events we have seen already
with the introduction of other snail eating predators on numerous Pacific
islands: the endemic species were predated upon and Achatina multiplied
almost unharmed.

Biological control is an excellent method but with pest specific predators
and parasites. If the predator has killed  the target pest species it will
starve soon afterwards by malnutrition.

Best regards,

Henk K. Mienis
Curator of the National Mollusc Collections at the Hebrew University of
Jerusalem and the Tel Aviv University, Israel
and Insect and Plant Pest Consultant in Field Crops, Netzer Sereni, Israel