Sender:
Date:
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 11:46:56 +0100
From:
"Guido T. Poppe" <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Hello,

Without venturing in a correct name-giving to the shells figured on
Animals4ever and Conus marmoreus, I can join the following: at two occasions
I collected this particular Conus on Moustique Island where it is living in
heavy surf at depths between 1 and 5 meters. (truly heavy: one day two out
of three divers came out of the water severely hurt and bleeding). The
species is living in the roots of something that strongly resembles the
Mediterranean Posidonia. Big waves dig channels in these algae fields, and
the dead shells are found there, together with a small Conus that resembles
a miniature aurantius. While we found several dozen of dead shells the
living thing was a challenge. So with big effort we managed to get on the
spot with Scuba-gear at night, and succeeded in finding two living animals:
these are bright carmine-red and the shells almost black, in fact, very very
dark chocolate with pure white spots. My experience is that the colours of
this Conus varies between almost black chocolate brown and pure
porcelain-white. All the other browns, from cream-chocolate to reddish are
different stages of shortly dead collected or long-dead and even sub-fossil
shells, washed up from the bottom by the surf.

Best regards, Guido
Visit Conchology, with over 50000 names with author, 3800 indicated type
species, 5000 conchological images, and fun with shells.
http://www.conchology.be/
For Information on A Conchological Iconography
http://www.conchology.be/iconography/iconography.html
Register, consult, comment and search
http://www.animals4ever.com