Sender:
From:
"Kevin S. Cummings" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:04:17 -0600
Carlos,

>Date:    Mon, 4 Mar 2002 07:05:00 -0800
>From:    Carlos Afonso <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Pomatias information needed
>
>Dear friends,
>
>Recently have started to collect some land and fresh water snails
>here in the Algarve, South Portugal. I always said to my self that I
>would only restrict my collection to marine shells but after
>exploring monitions and rivers with fantastic beauty and finding a
>couple of land and fresh water shells, I got hooked.

Congratulations, you finally saw the light!

>For the time being I know very little about land and fresh water
>shells from my region and I was wondering
>if some one can help me out! I am trying to obtain information on
>Pomatias elegans and sulcatum (especially sulcatum).

Kerney, M.P.  1975.  European distribution maps of Pomatias elegans
(Muller), Discus ruderatus (Ferrussac), Eobania vermiculata (Muller)
and Margaritifera margaritifera in the British Isles.  Archiv fur
Molluskenkunde  106:243-249.

See the on-line freshwater mollusk biblio of over 11,000 references
at:  http://ellipse.inhs.uiuc.edu/mollusk/biblio.html

>Would appreciate information on were to collect these specimens (and
>if possible where can I obtain them here in the Algarve). I have
>information that P. sulcatum occurs here in the Algarve in a
>restrict area. When is the best timing to collect them? Do they
>burrow during most parts of the years and then come out for spawning
>for a few months or days a year? Has any one actually collected this
>specie in the Algarve? These are a few questions I am interested in
>hearing about. The best of regards to all,

Carlos Afonso (Algarve, South Portugal)
--
Kevin S. Cummings
Illinois Natural History Survey

Join the Freshwater Mollusk Conservation Society Today!
http://ellipse.inhs.uiuc.edu/fmcs/