Sender:
From:
Henk and Zvia Mienis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2002 18:52:25 +0200
Dear Charlie,

This is only a wild guess. Checking Ruhoff (1980): Index to the species of
mollusca introduced from 1850 to 1870, I found the following species named
for a certain Dyson:
Ampullaria dysoni Hanley, 1854
Columbella dysoni Reeve, 1858
Cyclostoma dysoni Pfeiffer, 1851
Donax dysoni Deshayes, 1854
Helix dysoni Shuttleworth, 1852
Mactra dysoni Deshayes in Reeve, 1854
Unio dysoni Lea 1859
Wilkinsonaea dysoniana Chitty, 1857
Since I have no original papers at home, I can not check whether all these
species have been named after David Dyson or some other Dyson. Dance (1986)
writes nothing about the whereabouts of a Dyson collection.
Most of the names seem to have been based on material in the British Museum,
however, Lea and Chitty might have used material now stored in American
musea.

Best regards,

Henk K. Mienis