Sender:
From:
Lindsey Groves <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 2002 12:32:34 -0800
To Conch-L:

        Actually diatoms are a type of golden-brown algae (Class
Bacillariophyceae, Division Chrysophyta) composed of silica, can live
practically anywhere (ie., marine, brackish, freshwater, moist soils, ice,
etc.), are important primary producers, range from Early Cretaceous to
Recent, and form diatom oozes on the ocean floor, which in turn form
diatomites [= ditomaceous earth] when lithified.  They are measured in
micrometers [an angstrom is one hundred-millionth of a centimeter and is
used to measure the length of light waves].

Aloha,

Lindsey T. Groves
Nat. Hist. Mus. Los Angeles County, Malacology