Sender:
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 16:36:19 +0100
8bit
From:
Helmut Nisters <[log in to unmask]>
I could you explain what Peter Egerton is meaning, as
I am numberating the shells also for lots. But for
each species I do have on my databases an own created
systematical number. Now when I going collect and
bring shells home, maybe let us think I am going
to collect on one day to a beach in Italy at Chioggia,
Sottomarina, and will find on this day 20 species from
1 - xxx specimens / species I do have 20 lots,
where each lot get a separate number. I am numberating
every year with a coninuous number, maybe 2002 / 0001
2002 / 0002 and the last number was let us think again
0015 so these 20 species will get the next 20 numbers
for each lot, in systamtical order

2002 / 0016 until 2002 / 0017

so each species has its own number of the locality,
day, month, year, leg., det, eg.
Also 1 lot is one species from this dates and will
consist from 1 - xxx specimens, when I do have 1
Haliotis, or 10 Gibbula divaricata, or 150 Barleeia
unifasciata.

When I was content with my work and will go another
day again, and maybe I find these same species later,
they will get another current number for one lot.

so I do have

1 Haliotis with the number 2002 / 0016

and when I find a new one some days later
the shell will get

1 Haliotis with the number 2002 / 0052 for example

So I know what I found of the same species on the
same place, but on different days. The systematical
of the species is always the same.

So I do have many different records of a same species
with different current numbers, but with the same
systematical number. So in a database I can call
them after the systematical number and all the species
are listed also in their current number

maybe

1999 / 0010  Haliotis tuberculata
2000 / 1500  Haliotis tuberculata
2000 / 2350  Haliotis tuberculata
2002 / 0016  Haliotis tuberculata
2002 / 0150  Haliotis tuberculata

with all the informations for the databeses

I hope you understand now and that it would be a help
for you

with best shelling greetings
Helmut, who hopes that he isn't again removed from the
list

--- Stephen Ross <[log in to unmask]> schrieb:
<HR>
<P>When numbering shells, do all the specimens of a
particular species recieve the same number?&nbsp; Or
do they all get differnt numbers?&nbsp; In his
excellent reply to my earlier post (thanks so much!),
Peter Egerton mentioned "lots", I didn't really
understand how that worked.&nbsp; Is it all the
specimens of a species in my collection, or all the
specimens of any species I collect at any given
time?&nbsp; I do remember this affected the numbering,
which is why I bring it up, perhaps if he or someone
else could expand on that, I'd really appreciate
it!</P>
<P>~Stephen~</P>
Photos is the easiest way to share and print your
photos: <a href='http://g.msn.com/1HM305401/15'>Click

Ihre E-Mail noch individueller? - http://domains.yahoo.de