Sender:
From:
Charles L Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2002 08:37:53 -0800
James McLean (1978, Marine shells of southern California:  Natural History
Museum of Los Angeles County, Science Series 24) states "relatively common
at low tide and on rocky bottoms under kelp.  Range:  Monterey, California,
to San Geronimo Island, northern Baja California."  I found it to be
moderately common intertidally in southern California during the 1960's and
1970's.  Haven't done much collecting of living material since.

Guess I should introduce myself.  I'm a molluscan paleontologists working
for the U.S. Geological Survey.  At the moment my work is on the Quaternary
of southern California and Neogene of central and northern California.  But
I've worked from Alaska to Mexico and throughout the Tertiary.

Best,

Chuck

Charles L Powell, II
Western Earth Surface Processes Team, MS 975
U. S. Geological Survey
345 Middlefield Rd.
Menlo Park, CA  94025
(650) 329-4985

                    Stephen Ross
                    <monkeyboy007@HO        To:     [log in to unmask]
                    TMAIL.COM>              cc:
                    Sent by:                Subject:     Fusinus help
                    Conchologists of
                    America List
                    <CONCH-L@LISTSER
                    V.UGA.EDU>

                    03/26/02 11:22
                    PM
                    Please respond
                    to Conchologists
                    of America List

I have two shells I collected some years back in Santa Barbara, which I
have just recently tentitively IDed as Fusinus luteopicta.  However, I have
only found them in one source, Eisenberg "Seashells of the world", I can't
find this species listed anywhere else!  Does anyone know anything about
it, if it got its name changed since 1981 when this book was published?  My
two shells match the picture and the very small amount of data included in
the caption, but I'd like more confirmation.  The author listed is Dall,
but there is no date.  Thanks!

~Stephen~

Join the world's largest e-mail service with MSN Hotmail. Click Here