Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 09:52:43 -0500
From:
"José H. Leal" <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
At 10:17 AM 4/19/2002 +0000, Leslie Crnkovic wrote:
Hi Marcus
I haven't seen Professor Rios in years...
Let him know he is missed!
Leslie

Leslie and Conchlers,

I receive news from Rios regularly, either from his hometown of Rio Grande
or from his winter flat in Rio de Janeiro . He doesn't use e-mail or word
processors, always writes in his beautiful longhand style, nothing but blue
ink. (For those of you who don't know who Eliézer de Carvalho Rios is, he
is the prolific author of a series of books on Brazilian seashells spanning
from 1970 to 1994, works that set the standards for the study of eastern
South American marine mollusks.) He is one of the most generous
professionals I've ever met, always sharing information, specimens, and
material with anyone that happens to cross his way. Now in his eighties, I
am aware that he keeps nurturing and enthusing young students and
collectors. I am sure he will love to read Leslie's note. Long Live Rios!

Cheers,

José

José H. Leal, Ph.D., Director
The Bailey-Matthews Shell Museum