Sender:
Date:
Thu, 16 May 2002 18:13:17 -0400
The condition of the specimens should distinguish between Pliocene and Recent material, but dredging sand is a likely way to mix fossil and Recent material.  This occurs frequently along the eastern U.S. when fossiliferous sand is dredged to replenish a beach that has eroded.  Nevertheless, the dredging is unquestionably detrimental to the habitat.
I am not certain that Glycymeris inflata is the correct name for this taxon.  According to Sherborn, 1927, Index Animalium, Arca inflata Brocchi, 1814, Conch. Subap., p. 494 is a junior homonym of Arca inflata J. S. Schroeter, 1802, Archiv. Zool. (Wiedmann) III (I), p. 132.  However, I do not know whether Schroeter's name is valid.

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama
    Biodiversity & Systematics