Sender:
From:
"Harry G. Lee, MD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 19:34:47 -0400
Dear Doug,

This form of desensitization has been recognized for years but is seldom
practiced.  There is an apocryphal account of Pocahontas treating John Smith
with the same kind of "tea" and successfully protecting him from Poison Ivy.
Maybe some historian can fill us in on this story.

Harry

At 08:03 PM 6/2/98 EDT, you wrote:
>OK, I have to put in my two-cents worth on this subject and ask for help at
>the same time.  I have always been very allergic to poison ivy and as a result
>of many a shell outing I also have experienced many weeks of misery as a
>result.  About ten years ago a friend of mine in the Coast Guard gave me a
>first aid kit which contained a package of vials called poison oak/ivy
>extract.  Each vial was about 1/4 dram in size.  The instructions said the
>entire vial was to be mixed with 8 oz. of water and ingested at least 30
>minutes prior to exposure to either poison ivy/oak.   I tried this and have
>experienced fantastic results.  Over the years I have given away the remaining
>vials (thought I had a personal stash, but cannot find it).   During the
>course of conducting mussel surveys I have been exposed to poison ivy
>countless times. At least twice I have walked through southern forests which
>appeared to be carpeted with the poison ivy while wearing shorts and Teva
>sandals.  Amazingly, I have not had any problem with poison ivy since I used
>the extract.   The package said it was guaranteed to work only for one year.
>It has been almost ten years since and it is still working.  However, not
>wishing to tempt fate I have been trying to locate additional doses of this
>miracle drug.  I have asked other Coast Guard friends for help who in turn
>look at me as if I am crazy and say they have never heard of it.  I have asked
>others in the Army and Navy and got similar results.  Can anyone help me  and
>others locate more of this extract.  I am sure it will make many shellers very
>happy.
>
>Doug Shelton
>Alabama Malacological Research Center
>2370-G Hillcrest Road #236
>Mobile, AL 36695

Harry G. Lee
mailto:[log in to unmask]
Suite 500, 1801 Barrs Street
Jacksonville, FL  32204
U. S. A.    904-384-6419
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/wfrank/jacksonv.htm