Sender:
From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 19:15:07 +1200
>I just collected a number of very large Cryptochiton stelleri and
>am going to clean them today. What is the safest way to clean
>them so that the plates don't crack...I've had a few chitons break
>their plates due to rolling up in a ball when boiled.
>
>(No, I'm not going to preserve the girdles...to much bother for
>such huge animals.)
>
>Maybe I should freeze them first and then make slits along the
>girdles with a knife to relieve the stress...or then again maybe
>none of them will crack.

What I would do is keep them in a flat container with a bit of
seawater, so they unroll and lie flat. Put this in a deepfreeze until
they die, then remove the foot and viscera; pour in ethanol mixed
with glycerine to preserve them; the glycerine will keep them
pliable. Without girdle these things are near-valueless.

Actually, I would not collect a large specimen; about 10-15cm would
do fine for me.
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand