Sender:
From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2002 19:17:34 +1200
>Hello everyone,
>I don't know if anyone else has tried this but I've found a way to take
>digital pics through my microscope.  I simply focus the optics on the
>object, turn on my camera along with the LCD screen (turn off the flash),
>line it up with one of the optics until the image is visible, hold the
>camera steady, and take the picture.  This gives me an instant
>photomicrograph.  Now those tiny shells are no longer safe from my camera!
>My first pics are of an Umbraculum protoconch published in the September
>Tidelines of the St. Petersburg Shell Club.

I have been using a borrowed Sony Mavica to take images (one of which
is to be published in a book...). I use a large (say 40-60mm
diameter) magnifying lens held against the camera lens housing.
Results vary, but can be very good. Hold lens centered to avoid
aberration causing refraction and por focus.

Small shells (say 2-6mm) I use a 10x lens or binoc macroscope
eyepiece, but get chronic flare caused by refraction. I'll have to
try your method out!

These cameras are extremely light-sensitive, so getting enough light
is no problem... getting too much IS a problem. I resolve this by
having the room lights off and use a reflector-bulb (100W) anglepoise
light aimed at a wall or bookshelf... reflected light is sufficient.
I also use an old Olympus microscope illuminator set very low as
fill. Getting the direction of illumination right is also critical.
--
Andrew Grebneff
165 Evans St, Dunedin 9001, New Zealand