Sender:
From:
Alfonso Pina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 00:28:59 +0200
Hi,

Well, I know one... Some years ago some technics in a Spanish University (I
think it was Barcelona) created (and patented) an apparently simple device
based in a set of mirrors forming a, maybe 45º, angle between them. This
gives the device the look of a tent inside of wich you put the slide or the
negative to scan.

And it works. I know, because I have one (it comes as a gift with an annual
subscription to a computers magazine). At that time, you can acquire that
device for about 50$, but I don't know if it is still in the market and what
could be its current price.

It has however some limitations: only works with real light scanners, no
flatbed scanners using LED light. The worst thing is that you have to
manually put the slide under the mirrors (there is no a preassigned place to
put it, since it admits any size of any transparent thing that matches the
mirrors size). But you don't know if the slide is correctly placed until you
run a pre-scan wich converts it in a essay and error task, very time
consuming and not suitable to make a serial work.

Quality is of course less than original, but still acceptable. Maybe with
this idea you can build something similar.

Best regards,

Alfonso Pina
Málaga, Spain
www.eumed.net/malakos