Sender:
Date:
Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:18:23 -0700
From:
David Kirsh <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Paolo,

Exciting photos, it was a lucky encounter for you.

I just returned from Costa Rica and found many fragments of Malea ringens
with the "grinning" aperture on the beach. However--and this is a little
puzzling-- I also found two specimens (about 90mm each) intact in rocky
zones but without the "grin". Referring to Keen's book on Tropical West
America, it looks like there's no other possibility for identity. The
grinning fragments were from smaller shells (about 60mm).

Is this another case where size at maturity varies a lot? Or does the lip
ornamentation get resorbed and re-built,  as in some species?

David Kirsh
Durham, NC