Sender:
Date:
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:12:46 -0400
>Does anyone know whether the rulings of the ICZN are on computer and how one can access them if they are. I have a nomenclatural problem and think that a shell name was declared nomen dubium or possibly even nome nudem and need to find out if the ICZN ruled on it.<

The rulings of the ICZN, as well as appeals for rulings, discussions, and other information, appear in the Bulletin of Zoological Nomenclature.  A university library ought to have this, but it could take a while to search through it.  The latest numbers are summarized online at http://www.iczn.org/recentapplications.htm

The Zoological Record, which attempts to list all taxonomically relevant papers, has over 20 years available as a computer searchable format, either on CDs or online.  Again, it is something that requires either a subsciption or a visit to a library, but it would be a convenient way to look up any ICZN decisions over the past several years.  Some Zoological Record-related information is publicly available at
http://www.biologybrowser.org/

    Dr. David Campbell
    Old Seashells
    University of Alabama