Sender:
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 21:56:39 +0200
Dear Gladys,
"subspecies are genetically isolated groups of populations ...which live in
different parts of the whole area ...occupied by the species." Simply
speaking, subspecies are groups of populations, which share certain shell
qualities with other populations of the same species, but partly differ from
them in one or several other shell characteristics. When comparing  two
subspecies of the same species, we can expect that certain shell
characteristics of the majority of their individuals differ. But we must
remember that this is true only for the majority of individuals but not for
ALL individuals. This means that one can always find unusual shells in any
cowry population, which differ from the majority. When shell characteristics
of 100% of individuals in two groups of populations differ even in one shell
character without intermediate forms, we can separate such groups as
SPECIES.
 Subspecies MUST be isolated  geographically or ecologically (fossil taxa
are isolated stratigraphically, in time) otherwise the difference in shell
characteristics of their individuals will disappear owing to cross-breading.
So, shells which you have from Ascension I. are correctly identified as C.
acicularis sanctaehelenae and shells you collected in Bahamas belong to C.
acicularis acicularis.

I am very glad that you opened this question.
Questions like this are discussed from time to time in this forum, for
example: "I have a Cypraea tigris shell 117 mm long from Madagascar. Is it
C. tigris schilderiana?"  C. tigris schilderiana is a subspecies from Hawaii
Is. and near-by areas and can not be found in Madagascar. This subspecies is
characterized by mostly very large shells but unusually large single shells
may be found in any population of C. tigris.
Best regards
Ed