Sender:
From:
"Paul R. Monfils" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 09:32:45 EDT
Hi Linda,

Looking over your list of shells, I can see why you are not able to find these
shells in your books - or rather, why you can't find these NAMES in your
books!  Almost all of them are old, invalidated names that have been replaced
by other names (many of them a long time ago!).  I think you said in your
seems to be your problem here.  Some of these shells probably are in your
books, I suspect, but not by these names.  I recognize some of the names, and
was able to find the others in a couple of old books, particularly Walter
Webb's Handbook for Shell Collectors, copyright 1948.  So, here goes:

Murex bicolor >>  not a form of Murex erythrostomus, just an old, invalidated
synonym.  Murex bicolor Valenciennes is now known as Murex (Phyllonotus)
erythrostomus (Swainson) (common name Pink-Mouth Murex)  I believe the
locality should read Mazatlan, which is in Sinaloa, western Mexico.

Murex saxatilis  >>  This is Murex (Phyllonotus) duplex (Roeding) from west
Africa (so Gabon is probably ok as a locality).  At 82 mm, your specimen is
probably sub-adult.  This species gets BIG - about twice that length when
fully mature.

Murex salebrosa  >>  This is most likely Vitularia salebrosa (King &
Broderip).  It's in the family Muricidae, but is not usually referred to as
Murex.  I don't know what C. blanco is, but if it is this species, then it is
from the Panamic Province, so the CR may refer to Costa Rica.

Murex andivia  >>  probably endivia, rather than andivia.  Murex endivia
Lamarck is an invalid name.  The current name is Murex (Hexaplex) cichoreum
(Gmelin).  This species is extremely variable in both form and coloration, and
the form you describe is common.  Bataan (in the Philippines) is a reasonable
locality.  This species is still called the "Endive Murex" even though the
scientific name has changed.

Murex pinnatus  >>  The former Murex pinnatus Swainson is now known as Murex
(Pterynotus) alatus (Roeding).  Taiwan (formerly Formosa) is a likely
locality.  I always liked the name pinnatus, which means "featherlike", an apt
description for this delicate species, but alas, the ICZN just isn't a very
sentimental group.

Note:  Although I'm fairly confident about the species names above, I'm not
sure the genus names are current - the references I am using are not too
recent.  So I hereby pre-concede to any Murex enthusiast who would care to
correct them.

Conus obesus  >>  This is Conus zeylanicus Gmelin.  Most specimens come from
India, but the Andaman Islands are not far away, and are probably a good
locality.

Conus arachnodes  >>  probably Conus arachnoideus Gmelin, which is now called
Conus araneosus Solander.  It's a common Indian ocean species.  Most cones
produce an operculum.

Conus cinereus  >>  Conus cinereus Hwass is a valid species, and your
description sounds like it.  Philippines is a good locality.  The name
cinereus means ash-colored, from the same root as the english word incinerate.

Conus lignarius  >>  This is an old, invalid synonym for Conus furvus Reeve.

Conus interruptus  >>  Conus interruptus Broderip & Sowerby is an old name for
Conus ximenes Gray.  Your description and locality match.

Conus glacus  >>  sounds like Conus glaucus L., a valid species.

Conus concinnus  >>  Surprise!  Conus concinnus Broderip (also known as Conus
concinnulus Crosse) is not even a Conus!  The actual name is Parametaria
dupontii (Kiener).  It's in the family Columbellidae (Dove Shells).  It is
sometimes called the "false cone" shell.  Your locality is likely, and size is
typical.

Conus pyriformis  >>  This is Conus patricius Hinds.  Both the size of 51 mm
and the presence of tubercles on the shoulder indicate that your specimen is a
juvenile.  When mature, this species commonly reaches over 100 mm, and
sometimes even 125 mm, and has a smooth shoulder.  Your listed locality is
okay.  Common name is "pear cone".

Regards.
Paul M.