Date:
Thu, 12 Dec 2002 11:11:13 -0800
From:
Dan Yoshimoto <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Comments:
Hi Lindsey,Dirk, Chris,& Luiz
        As you may have noticed on the list, there is still a bit of a
disagreement between "radularists", "Phylogenists" and other "folks".  How
can we get a simple answer to a complicated question.
        I guess that LACMNH has Jenneria pustulata under Ovulidae?
        All is well here. I hope that the same is true for my "Museum friends".
        Thanks for your help Dan
Dear Dan,

the classification of Jenneria pustulata is very simple:

It is neither a Triviidae nor a Ovulidae!!!! The radula has the formula
2-2-1-2-2. Both Triviidae and Ovulidae have a radula of the formula
2-1-1-1-2.

Compare:

Fehse, D. (2001): Beiträge zur Kenntnis der Ovulidae (Mollusca: Cypraeoidea).
VIII. Einleitung zur Familie sowie Katalog, Taxonomie und Bibliographie und
Bemerkungen zu verwandten Gruppen. ? Acta Conchyliorum, 5: 3-51, text figs. 1-3,
tabs 1-6.
Fehse, D. (2002): Beiträge zur Kenntnis der Ovulidae (Mollusca: Cypraeoidea).
VIIIa. Nachträge. ? Club Conchylia Informationen, 34 (1/3): 23-27, pls. 1-2,
tab. 7.

The only family within the Cypraeoidea which has 1 rachidial, 2 lateral
and 2 marginal radula teeth is Pediculariidae. The latter is, therefore,
distinct and not a subfamily of the Ovulidae as many authors falsely
published.

Hope I could help you.

Best regards

Dirk

Dirk Fehse
Nippeser Str. 3
12524 Berlin
Germany
---------------------------------
Dear Dan
I have studied Jenneria pustulata in the set of 32 Cypraeoidean species in
my thesis on Caenogastropoda morphological phylogeny. I have obtained it as
the fist branch of the Ovulidae. The paper is almost published and will be
available very soon.
Best wishes, Luiz
Luiz Ricardo L. Simone
Museu de Zoologia da Universidade de S“o Paulo
Cx. Postal 42594
04299-970 S“o Paulo, SP, Brazil
-----------------------------------
Family Ovulidae/ Subfamily Eocypraeinae

Chris Brown
Tucson, AZ

>Dan:
>
>        Greetings.  I guess you got your answers before I could reply.
>Jenneria
>pustulata is indeed in the family Ovulidae/subfamily Eocypraeinae based on
>its radula and protoconch.  All is well on the home and museum fronts.  Later.
>
>Aloha,
>
>Lindsey

Dan & Hiromi Yoshimoto
1164 Vista Dr.