Sender:
From:
bernardino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Dec 2002 17:47:55 -0000
Overcollecting? It was never proved that collecting has ever made any
seashell extinct. Overfishing, Pollution, and Man predation for food in the
reefs may have an impact thousands times larger.I remember several years ago
I was in a trip in an island off Venezuela and the guide has forbbiden any
shell collecting because of pr eservation of species but when walking around
the island we found tons of oysters openned by local fishermen looking for
pearls, because they need to survive this was allowed by
authorities( ! )Australian authorities also control shell collecting but
made some mammals extint because of "wise measures" and everyone knows what
happened with hawaian snails. Collectors are often victims of fundamentalism
of authorities but some of these close their eyes when fishermen use bombs
or poison to catch fish.

Every collector has the moral right to get better specimens for his
collection

Bernardino