Sender:
From:
Livett Family <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:51:07 +1100
Hi Kev,

Pleased you enjoyed the read and responded. I am no expert in this field (or
even in molecular biology although I belong to the Dept.of B&MB and
occasionally employ the techniques of molecular biology to discover new
conotoxins from existing species established by the traditional methods). I
am however interested in the extent to which DNA analysis can be used to
distinguish (rather than classify) different species where there is
disagreement among collectors based on traditional methods.

I am a subscriber to "don't throw out the baby with the bathwater" doctrine,
and in this case wish that the technology was cheaper and easier and more
available to collectors. Just as I presently submit a bag of shell bits to
the Australian Museum for positive identification of any cone shell that I
dissect for examination of novel conotoxins by molecular techniques, so I
would hope that Museums worldwide will in the not too distant future be able
to offer a service to collectors who wish to affirm or confirm species
identity to a "new" shell they have just discovered.

Introduction of new approaches, new techniques into an established field of
discovery inevitably brings resistance and scepticism. That is fine. My
purpose in sharing this article (and related web links) with you and other
subscribers to CONCH-L is to gain from your perspective and collective
experience an appreciation of the extent to which conchologists, "the
traditional owners" of shell taxonomy, presently believe (or do not believe)
that the new science of molecular biology when applied to the "soft parts"
(ie. malacology) can be useful in defining or further refining a species.

I was not surprised that you and A.G.  were among the first to reply and
look forward to the on-going discussion on CONCH-L.

Very best wishes to you for the New Year.

Bruce
==============
Bruce G. Livett PhD
Reader in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
University of Melbourne,
Victoria, AUSTRALIA 3010
Phone: +61-3-8344 5911 / 5920
Fax: +61-3-9347 7730
Email: [log in to unmask]
Home: 48 Nicholas St. Ashburton, Victoria 3147, Australia
Email: [log in to unmask] (home)
Cone Shells: http://grimwade.biochem.unimelb.edu.au/cone/
Nature Science Update: http://www.nature.com/nsu/020715/020715-11.html