Sender:
From:
"G. Thomas Watters" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 07:31:09 -0400
>There's a common species of fresh water clam (probably a Unio of some
>kind) on the lower Columbia River in Oregon and Washington. Does anybody
>know what species it is, or if its protected at all? I am interested in
>collecting some to put in my pond. I once raised one as a kid in my
>aquarium, so I know they'll tolerate fairly stagnant conditions.
>
>Regards,
>Casey Burns

Could be any of several species of unionid there:

Margaritifera falcata - has been 'introduced' around the west coast (Lake
Tahoe, for example) by stocking salmon - black or brown on the outside, with
hinge teeth, purple or white on the inside

several sp. of Anodonta - kennerlyi, nuttalliana, beringiana, oregonensis -
no hinge teeth, white or iridescent inside, all pretty similar

Gonidea angulata - no hinge teeth, purple inside

These are all large shells - several inches at least - anything smaller
probably is Corbicula, the introduced Asian clam. Collecting regulations
vary from state to state, and whether that wildlife officer has had his
second cup of coffee. None of these species are federally listed.

(We would always welcome specimens at the Museum here, the largest unionid
collection in North America)

*  G Thomas Watters               *
*  Ohio Biological Survey &       *
*  Aquatic Ecology Laboratory     *
*  Ohio State University          *
*  1315 Kinnear Rd.               *
*  Columbus, OH 43212 USA         *
*  v:614-292-6170 f:614-292-0181  *

"The world is my oyster, except for months with an "R" in them" - Firesign
Theater
"A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on" - William Burroughs