Sender:
Date:
Fri, 2 May 2003 12:42:45 +0200
8bit
From:
Cristian Ruiz Altaba <[log in to unmask]>
A conchologist named Florentino Azpeitia Moros, who was a mine geologist
working for the Spanish Mining Geological Institute (or something
translatable in a similar way) did publish a long obituary of Dr. Hidalgo
together with a compilation of all his works.  Hidalgo had a long and
productive career, but official recognition came very late for him, having
to rely on the patronage of a noble lady, who by the way appears in the
frontispiece of his large books.  He was in conflict (unavoidably) with the
Museo Nacional de Ciencias Naturales in Madrid, and it is in one of his
prologues that he explicitly states why this is so.  Worth reading.
 Azpeitia was also considered a black sheep-- hyperactive among his
colleagues, exposed to envies, prolific inasmuch as his job allowed him.
 No wonder it was him who paid homage to his admired mentor.

Sincerely,

Cristian R. Altaba