Sender:
From:
lindawbush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jul 2003 10:21:25 -0400
Hi, CONCH-L (if you are not all gone to Washington)!

I have a murex which I hauled out of a sourvenir-type bag,
(and thus no locality data), which I can't identify.  The
 closest I can find is in Eisenberg, Plate 76, #1 - Murex
serratospinosus Dunker (syn. malabaricus E. A. Smith).  It
is trigonal, has the week five varices between the major
three, and has the long siphonal canal (actually a little
longer than in the shell figured), and has almost no spine
development on the varices (although, there are a few,
weak
short spines on the siphonal canal).

I know having no data complicates the i.d., but I had
bought the bag for my husband to give to the other workers
at his job (who don't know anything about shells).  I
couldn't resist extracting this one, as I had never seen
it before.

Can anyone help?  Maybe Santa will bring me a good scanner
or a digital camera, and then I can post photographs on a
suitable site.

Thanks ahead of time,
Linda