Sender:
From:
Bret Raines <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 05:26:11 -0700
Hello all,

I guess that I'm the odd man out.  Years ago I thought a WR list to be a
noble idea, but now days I find it to be more of an amusing toy.

To know the size range of an adult species has scientific value.
 However, what is the scientific value of knowing that John Q. Sheller
has the WR this year and it is 154.2mm?  And what is the scientific
value of knowing that Jane Q. Sheller has the WR 2 years from now and it
is 154.4mm? Obtaining measurements of "single" anomalies outside the
normal size range has very limited scientific value if any.

In any project, one must consider the effort required vs its value.  The
level of effort required to produce a document like this is significant,
however, the value to science is almost nil.  So now the question is,
does a WR list have any value?  Of course it does!  We are a competitive
species, and as such, we enjoy any contest.  We also don't want to
forget the shell dealers.  Obviously, if they have a specimen which is
larger than the listed WR the monetary value increases.  Ok, I'm done. I
await thy wrath.

Bret Raines