Date:
Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:17:26 -0700
From:
Ellen Bulger <[log in to unmask]>
7bit
Sender:
Tink,

I'm a little late popping in here, but I have another suggestion that
might enhance your collection; join a shell club. You can swap shells
with other members AND every shell club I've ever been in has shell
auctions. Sometimes the shells in the auctions have been donated by
members, sometimes they are surplus from museums,  and often generous
dealers will donate shells to a club. How, you might ask, oh
tender-hearted dead-shell collector, how is this different than live
shelling? Well, for one thing, the money generated by a shell auction
at a shell club often goes to fund marine biology scholarships. You are
actually doing your bit for ocean research and preservation by
splurging on that Charonia! Anyone who thinks buying a shell is a
boring way to collect, should try a shell club auction. They're great
fun.

Do join a club. You'll meet great people and expand your knowledge of
shelling. I've been in three clubs; first the Mystic Club. I was living
in New Haven and working in Fairfield county and found the 2 hour drive
a bit much, but then I joined the Astronaut Trail Club and the commute
was from Connecticut to FLORIDA! I didn't, needless to say, make a lot
of meetings. Nowadays I live in Flagstaff, AZ and I'm a member of the
Southwest Malacological Society which has its meetings in Phoenix. I'm
usually able to carpool for part of the ride, but even when I can't, I
try not to miss a meeting. It is a swell club.

All of my shell club experiences have been terrific and I've met some
wonderful people. You will learn more about shells and the marine
habitat, about collecting and get travel pointers. But mostly you
should go for the same reason I like to bring my dog, Tucker, to doggy
day camp every once in a while. Hanging around with your family and
other regular folks is fine, but now and then you need to be with your
own kind; the shell obsessed.

Join a club. Join a couple clubs. There are 2 in NY and Philly ain't
such a long drive either. Go to a shell auction and maybe take in a
shell show. And I STRONGLY recommend taking a Bahamian collecting trip
with Jim & Bobbi Cordy.They are great folks who organize trips for
their club and for fun, not profit, so it's a screamin' good deal and a
great time. Plus the Cordy's are lovely people.

I'll spare you my rant on the live vs. dead thing,

Ciao,

Ellen
(who had some excellent yellowtail sashimi for dinner last night and
weeps not over her clam chowder)