Sender:
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:37:52 -1000
7bit
From:
"Wesley M. Thorsson" <[log in to unmask]>
I doubt that Cypraea rashleighana are truly extinct though there has
been no reports of finding one in recent years.  They have tended to
appear in cycles.  We found the first specimens by diving in 1957 and
there were a few other reports of finding them for the next decade.  In
the 1978 there was a bloom and they were found in many locations on Oahu
for some years and then beame scarce again.  I found my last specimen in
1993 when I had been seeing them once or twice a year.

The major population was near Haleiwa, but I had found them in Moanalua
Bay, Kaneohe, and Makua.  In Haleiwa we saw eggs only in late October
when the big waves start, a poor time to be laying eggs there.

They might still be available in Midway, now a reserve.

No, I don't have any available now.
--
Aloha from Wesley M. Thorsson, Editor of Internet Hawaiian Shell News
Email [log in to unmask]     122 Waialeale St, Honolulu, HI  96825-2020,