Sender:
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:25:47 +1000
7bit
From:
Bob Abela <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Dan,

Referring to Oldroyd's The Marine Shell of the West Coast of North
America, vol 2, part 2.
This 1927 work (reissued in 1978) points to five in all, then assigned
to the genus Thais:

Thais lamellosa franciscana Dall, 1915
Thais lamellosa neptunea Dall, 1915
Thais lamellosa hormica Dall, 1915
Thais lamellosa cymica Dall, 1915
Thais lamellosa sitkana Dall, 1915

The same work by Dall is referenced but that is all.
Abbott's 2nd addition American Seashells states, "and several forma
described by Dall in 1915: franciscana, hormica, neptunea, cymica, and
sitkana."

So, unfortunately, no definite answer to your question.

During the late 1970's, as a teenager, a friend and I found a few live
N. lamellosa during minus tides in SF.
Being the young "geeks" that we were, we correctly identified them. :^)
Later, in the early 1990's, we discovered a population near the mouth of
the Russian River in Sonoma County. In each instance, they were
partially protected on or underneath boulders. And, around that time, we
returned to the spot we had found them in SF but did not find any.

Cheers,

Bob Abela
Tamuning, Guam
http://www.guamcell.net/~babela/bobsguamshells/