Sender:
From:
Ross Mayhew <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 02:49:13 +0000
        I think that N. lamellosa is rather similar in many ways to the N.
lapillus we have over here on the eastern side of the Big Island, except
that our species doesn't show quite such an astounding range of
variation.  Yet, i have found up to 80 color and pattern variations at
one locality near Halifax, and many locations have 40 or more.  Form
variation ranges from smooth to frilly, with different degrees of
elongation depending upon predation types (the "green crab", for
example, is common in the Minas Basin, and specimens there are often
quite elongate compared to those found on the Atlantic coast.  This may
also be a function of wave intensity: the squat form found on the stormy
Atlantic coast, is better able to withstand the various forces of waves.
        Regarding veligers and such, N. lapp. is most definitely a "walk out
and stay close" species, which leads to isolation of local populations
separated by geography - i know of a beach where there are three clumps
of rocks separated by stretches of beach.  The color and pattern morph
frequencies found in each of these three very closely spaced localities
is QUITE different - surprisingly so, in fact!!  For example, in the
central one, i found a fair number of the lovely violet form (no
requests for these, please - like the turquise form of Tonicella and the
violet form of Neptunea lyrata decemcostata found in these parts, the
violet pigment quickly fades.  I wonder if these "vanishing" pigments
are related to each other structurally? That would be great master's
thesis for certain!!), while in one of the others, despite a good
search, not a single one turned up!! So, it seems that even though
storms must occasionally wash specimens from one rock cluser to another,
three distinct and fairly isolated populations of N. lappilus inhabit
the same beach.

From the Great Wet North,
Ross M.

Dan Yoshimoto wrote:

     Dear Friends,
             A couple of weeks ago I posted a question about Nucella
lamellosa     and the variations (varieties/forms) as I was giving a
talk to our shell      club here in Eureka, California.  After last
night I have even more as the      members were curious about the
species also.  As most of them had only seen      the form Nucella
lamellosa lamellosa (Gmelin, 1791) because that's what      most shell
shops sell, they we awed at the number of forms that can be      found,
within 100-200 miles from here.
             As children we always asked the big question, "WHY?" and as
adults      our curiosity seem to wane abit and "Why?" is used less
often.  Poor us!!      But last night the questions were in every mouth.
 Here are a few of them      and if there are folks out there that may
have some answers, I'll print      them in our next Lost Coast Shell
Club Newsletter.
     1. Seeing various sizes in the species, (some from deeper waters
and others
     intertidal), is there a reason for this difference?  Is there an advantage
     to a bigger size... for the animal?  No, not the collector/dealer.
     2. Having many color variations and color banding, as are found in Northern
     Vancouver Island, Canada, is there a cause of this, besides
genetics?  (For
     those interested in Port Hardy specimens photo, please e-mail privately)
     3. Some of the specimens (usually with narrow aperture, thick, heavy
     shells) are there uses/causes for the "teeth" that are inside the outer
     lip?
     4. In many of the locations there are very few color forms, and at times,
     only white or only brown, is this a type of evolutionary selection because
     of predator choices? (Birds, Crobs, Octopi,Sea stars) When I find
     populations of few or only one color forms, I usually find in the area
     several species of large crabs with strong pincers and  specimens
that have
     been broken in similar ways.
     5. Could the color variations in Nucella be foorms of sexual dimorphism?
     Speaking of "sex" (oh boy) are Muricids hermaphroditic and are the egg
     cases carrying veligers or shelled "walk-outs"?

             As you can see, the questions posed are similar to those
asked by
     the Elementary/Jr. High school students where I give talks. As the members
     in the club had so many good questions, and I wasn't sure of the
answers, I
     am asking your indulgence in asking for some answers.

             My question, also a bit elementary, is, "Has anyone done a DNA
     Analysis for comparison of the many forms of the species Nucella lamellosa?
     Not much has been done with this species since 1915 (Dall) and the new
     technologies may give us some new answers.
             Thank you for your answers, in advance.
     Dan Yoshimoto
     p.s. e-mail address is

     [log in to unmask]         if you's like to see the Port Hardy Nucella
     lamellosa variations photo, even with 4 purple specimens.

     Dan, Hiromi & Kuma Yoshimoto
     1164 Vista Dr.
     Eureka, California
     95503-6018