Sender:
Date:
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 06:20:56 +0200
Dear Stephanie,

You can forget Helix mabillei minor Crosse, 1864 because it is preoccupied
by the folowing names, which were all validly described as Helix xxxxxx
minor:
Helix epistylium minor C.B. Adams, 1851
Helix aspersa minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix cAntiana minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix carascalensis minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix cespitum minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix ciliata minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix conspurcata minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix ericetorum minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix lactea minot Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix lapicida minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix limbata minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix neglecta minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix nemoralis minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix sericea minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix serpentina minor Moquin-Tandon, 1855
Helix (Polygyra) loisa minor W. Binney, 1857
Helix concinna minor Jeffreys, 1862
Helix ericetorum minor Jeffreys, 1862
Helix lapicida minor Jeffreys, 1862
Helix nemoralis minor Jeffreys, 1862
Helix rotundata minor Jeffreys, 1862
Helix rufescens minor Jeffreys, 1862
Helix moguntina minor F. Sandberger, 1863
In addition Bourguignat, 1864 introduced other 32 names as Helix xxxxx
minor.
Like the name by Crosse they were originally described as a Helix xxxxx
minor and therefore Crosse's name can not be used.
This is only a partial list covering the period 1850-1864 (acc. to Ruhoff,
1980). Without doubt there are still additional Helix xxxxxx minor described
before 1850.

Henk K. Mienis