Sender:
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2003 10:54:41 -0500
Thank you, Riccardo;-
   E. linctum and E. frondicula do appear to be close, I still have some doubts. Linctum is found off Southern Europe and in the Med. Frondicula appears to be found only off Northern European beaches. The costae of E.frondicula are much closer together than in Linctum. Shape of costae is identical. From my amatuer standpoint, they just plain don't look alike---but, like I said---close.
    I will probably end up sending my examples to Len Brown for examination and comparison.
    Art

> From: Riccardo  Giannuzzi-Savelli <[log in to unmask]>
> Date: 2003/11/11 Tue AM 09:33:16 EST
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Scalaria frondicula
>
> Scalaria frondicula sensu AA non S. Wood S.,1848
> is
> Epitonium linctum (De Boury & Monterosato, 1890) [Scalaria]
>
> Scalaria frondicula was firstly introduced by S. Wood, in 1842
> Ann. Mag. Nat. Hist. IX: 533 but this is a nomem nudum.
>
> The name was validated
>
>    WOOD S.V., 1848 - A monograph of the Crag Mollusca with
> descriptions of shells from the Upper Tertiaries of the British
> Isles. 2. Bivalves. Paleont. Soc. Monogr. (London)
> parte 1: pp. I-XII, 1-208, pl. 1-21 [1848]
>

> All the best
>

> Riccardo Giannuzzi-Savelli

PLEASE NOTE: My new, long-term, and correct email address is: [log in to unmask] Please update your records!