Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 03:50:00 +1100
From:
Stephanie Clark <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
Thank you all who have helped with the minor problem.

I had assumed that the name was preoccupied and have written the paper that
way, but I still need to sort out what the earliest name might be. So far
the earliest name is one by CB Adams, (1851). I do remember checking a
Ferussac name in the Australian Museum's copy at the beginning of the year
and I am pretty sure the name minor was not mentioned anywhere but that is
not to say that I missed it for some reason or I got the page numbers
wrong. I also seem to remember chasing up a Pfeiffer name in one of his
land snail volumes.

So if any one can send me copies or at least check them if they are large
works, of  Picard, 1840, Shuttleworth, 1854 etc that Rich posted that would
be helpful. I have found that the only problem using the Tryonia volumes
which I do not have access to where I am yet (I will buy them shortly),
lists the species name but not the original genus name that the species
name was associated with so it is very possible that some of the early
names were introduced under different generic names from Helix.

These pre-1864 taxa appear in the Helicidae literature:
>minor (Picard, 1840) = Helicella itala (Linné, 1758)
>minor (Morelet, 1853) = Sphincterochila cariosula (Michaud, 1833)
>minor (Moquin-Tandon, 1855) = Monacha cartusiana (Müller, 1774)
>minor (Férussac, 1821) = Polydontes obliterata (Férussac, 1821)
>minor (Shuttleworth, 1854) = Polydontes lima (Férussac, 1821)
>minor (Pfeiffer, 1852) = trachia asperella (Pfeiffer, 1846)
>minor Morch, 1856 = Caracolus carocollus (Linné, 1758)
>minor (Pfeiffer, 1848) = Bradybaena fodiens (Pfeiffer, 1845)
>minor  (Adams, 1851) = Sagda alligans (Reeve, 1851) - I have this one in
>front of me and it is the current winner, original form was Helix
>epistylium var. minor.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Stephanie

Stephanie A. Clark