Sender:
From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 22:15:34 +1300
>Dear fellow Conch-lers,
>
>     Thank you very much Andrew for your good information.  Siphonaridae is
>also very common to Philippines but this size first time and I discover the
>area and not much.  Normal size that we have is averaging 30mm.
>
>     Best Regards,
>
>     Tony

I don't personally know of any siphonariid species which normally
grows as large as B. obliquata (though if there is, I wouldn't mind
being told); 30mm is generally a pretty good size for members of the
family. Your beastie may be abnormal, possibly parasitized; I do know
that Cerithium parasitized by cestodes (tapeworms) can have their
gonads destroyed, which messes-up hormone production; these specimens
can live long and grow far larger than normal.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand