Sender:
From:
Leslie Allen Crnkovic <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 08:16:43 US/CENTRAL
Hi Andrew
As of last spring (April?), that shell is in the collections of the Houston
Museum of Natural Science... acquired for the paltry sum over half a years
wages!

It is registered as the world record in (Pisor's & Hutsell's World Register of
Record Shells).  There is an article in Hawaiian Shell News (can't cite it at
the moment) on it from back when Don acquired it.  If memory serves, he found
it in a someone’s yard in Taiwan.  So no telling how little he paid for it.

Also, remember, chances are there are bigger ones out there in other private
collections, probably of someone who has no clue what they have.

Leslie

-------------------------
So the 1m specimen is just a rumor?
Andrew Grebneff

-------------------------
772.0mm owned by Don Pisor in San Diego, California.
Regards,
Paul Kanner

Does anyone know the reference for the largest known specimen of the
turbinellid Syrinx aruanus? I have seen claims that a 1m (40")
specimen is known, but no evidence to back this up.

If true, that makes it bigger than the longest known other species,
the paris Basin Eocene campanilid Campanile giganteus at 0.95m.

A one-meter snail shell... beats the 0.625m specimen I've just
snagged by a wee margin...
Andrew Grebneff