Sender:
From:
Andrew Grebneff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 20:58:32 +1300
>I just had an offer for some very convincing "homemade" albino shells
>from the Philippines - the home of the Shell Doctor.  Just wanted to let
>the list know this is going on more these days: i think it is a new
>technique.  Does anyone know how to tell a "homemade" albina from a
>natural one, by the way??
>
>From the Great Melting North,
>Ross.

The white Perotrochus hirasei which are coming in some numbers from
Taiwan SEEM to be genuine white specimens; the upper whorls are
reddish, but this fades in a "natural" gradation to white or
offwhite. I also have very pale-apricot specimens.

The odd white Telescopium is turning up, and these are very striking.
I suspect that these are normally pigmented by melanins, and further
suspect that these pigments are very resistant, and that the white
specimens are genuine... mine had traces of periostracum and animal
remaining, and not carbonized by heat, either.

Provocator mirabilis DOES have a white form, but can also be faked by
high heat, as I discovered by accident.

Peristernia reincarnata has a true white form also.

Some fakes may be obvious some (possible signs: excessive
heat-crazing of inductura, excessive number of stress-fractures eg in
Cypraea margins, uneven whiteness), but others will not be
diagnosable with any certainty.

Most truly white abnormalities are doubtfully albino.
--
Andrew Grebneff
Dunedin, New Zealand