Sender:
From:
worldwide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Mar 2004 23:42:59 -0500
In the Bahamas, empty Peanut shells of the land snail genus Cerion commonly
wash down to the ocean from the shoreline dunes where the snails live on
sea grape foliage.   Small marine hermit crabs living in the shallow rocky
tide pools then move into the empty Peanut shells, causing newbie
collectors to wrongly assume that they are marine shells.  I have also
found living Cerion with epiphragm-covered apertures drifting just offshore
like wayward flotsam (is there any other kind?).
Rich
www.worldwideconchology.com