Sender:
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 09:55:41 -0400
Don't tell me your becoming a "conehead"!!
Cardinalis is a rather fine , well structured and heavy (for it's size). The
color of both are beautiful reds and oranges . both do carry a central band
of "lighter" color. we won't talk about localities as this is a mute point,
I.E. the cardinalis is a caribbean sub-province species and corallinus is a
indo-pacific, there are several conus pecies that are very close relatives ,
so close that w/ the exception of tennessee they couldn't marry. a great
example would be cedonulli and archon . at one time these were the same but
as the seas dropped the panamic region was established when a land bridge
was created that we call "panama" the species are soo close that i know a
veterian collector who traded for a archon when she thought it was a
cedonulli.
Back to the corallinus/cardinalis question, the simularities stop when we
consider structure, corallinus is leporiconus a small varience into
"fusiform" being it's almost "mitre-like" shape. cardinalis is leptoconus
and would be considered turbinate, having a spire that dips or becomes
concave near the "shoulder". this might all sound boring, being a good
collector, taking note of these shapes will eventually help when it comes
time to identify other conus. good luck and one other word on conus , they
are one of the few specimen shells that you can get a fine++ specimen and by
correctly filing the lip you can create a gem. when i collected cypraea i
was dissappointed when i would find a chip or scratch and knew there wasn't
a thing i could do . Mark James Bethke