Sender:
Date:
Sun, 5 Jul 1998 10:32:38 -0400
Could one of our resident conus experts advise me on the differences between
conus floridanus burryae and conus floridanus.

Question 1, does the spire remain darker in color then the "body" color,
I.E. the spire on my questionable specimen has slightly darker blotches on
the early whorls.

Question 2, both are "gradiconus" in structure, the specimen I'm using for
comparison has a structure that is much lower or closer to "protoconus".
Should spire height be considered a factor when differentiating the two
species.

Question 3, this specimen was found in the same location , same depth and
same habitat as the original species in this case floridanus, it was my
understanding that a sub-species can't exist within the same habitat as the
species. Of course there can be found one exception , conus
anemone/Peronianus exist in the same habitat, same localities and are found
at the same depth.

Thank you in advance for any and all input on this matter, Mark James Bethke