Sender:
From:
"Gijs C. Kronenberg" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 20:03:30 +0100
Dear Tom,

Dr. Campbell did mention a few: Sphaeridae (Bivalvia) are parthenogenetic,
and I once read [have to look up the reference] a paper on a fresh water
gastropod where males are extremely rare, and parthenogenesis is very likely
[if not a rule]

If the lizards don't read or understand our textbooks (rule books) and go
about life in an unexpected fashion they should be wiped out........[sorry,
joke].

So, it appears that we have an example, but this seems to be a ver rare
occasion with some "special" conditions; i.e. parthenogenesis after
hybridisation. I understand that within reptiles parthenogenesis arose
several times independantly, so why not in a hybrid..
But what I was looking for was a hybrid population of males and females
which was self sustaining, i.e. after mating, fertilisation etc. for some
generations.

Gijs