Date:
Mon, 12 Apr 2004 18:43:23 -0400
From:
"Harry G. Lee" <[log in to unmask]>
8bit
Sender:
Dear John,

The facts seem to be:

(1) Triplex rosaria G. Perry is a senior synonym of Murex palmarosae
Lamarck, 1822.  It is available name.  Myra Keen, apparently in error,
reported that this Perry taxon was rejected by the ICZN as a secondary
junior homonym of Purpura rosarium Röding, 1798

, itself a junior synonym of Murex trunculus Linnaeus, 1758.

At 02:55 PM 4/11/2004, you wrote:
>The latest issue of American Conchologist has a review of a paper by
>Richard Petit entitled “George Perry’s molluscan taxa and notes on the
>editions of his Conchology of 1811”.
>Thank you, Tom Eichhorst, for the review and for the URL where the entire
>paper is available for free download.
>
>I was fascinated by the convoluted history of molluscan taxonomy, and the
>story of politics, infighting, and dirty tricks among our revered authors.
>It points out the need for continual refining of our printed “facts” and
>beliefs.
>
>To someone interested in muricid nomenclature, there are two items that
>stand out:
>a) the need to change Chicoreus palmarosae to rosaria, and
>b) under the discussion of Triplex pinnata, Petit indicates “Not Murex
>pinnatus Swainson, 1822 which is a synonym of Pterynotus alatus (Röding,
>1798).” Now, I think that implies that Petit considers alatus to be the
>correct species name. However, I have been following Springsteen &
>Leobrera, 1986 who assert on page 153 that that name was rejected (even
>though erroneously) and the correct name is pinnatus.
>
>Any knowledgeable arbiters out there?
>
>  John Wolff
>
>Lancaster, PA -- USA
>http://mysite.verizon.net/vze7m3zq/

Harry G. Lee
Suite 500
1801 Barrs St.
Jacksonville, FL 32204
USA
Voice: 904-384-6419
Fax: 904-388-6750
Visit the Jacksonville Shell Club Home Page at:
www.jaxshells.org