Sender:
From:
Bob Abela <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 2004 01:05:53 +1000
Hi Conchlers,

Thought I'd share something I witnessed in my aquarium. Every day, while
I feed the fish, I drop in a little something extra for the snails, in
particular for the Nassarius that live in the sand bed. They're a great
little clean-up crew but I like to reward them for their efforts.
Whenever they smell food, they come out in a hurry. Usually they are
rewarded with a treat but this time, for one particular Nassarius
graniferus, such was not the case.

While Roving over the sand searching for its meal, it came head-on with
small, unidentified crab. The crab immediatly assumed a strike position
and waited. And the second the snail was within striking distance, it
grabbed at the Nassarius with incredible speed, each claw taking firm
hold of the snail's foot. It then dragged him back to his little hiding
spot within the rocks and had himself an afternoon snack.

I've lost quite a few snails from these little fella's but this was the
first time I had an opportunity to witness an attack. It was impressive.
Now I need to fish the little bugger out of the tank. Perhaps then I'll
be able to identify which species it is.

Cheers,
Bob Abela